After buying *new toothpaste*, a big deal around here, I convinced the girls to go on foot from Berkeley Natural Grocery to the Ohlone greenbelt around the corner. Some grumbling but once we were on the path there were sticks galore and BART trains emerging from underground tunnels. We came upon a community garden and went in - an elderly gentleman was in the garden harvesting and weeding:
Elderly Gentleman: "You can't come in."
Mother with Children: "The sign on the gate says anyone can come in and browse!"
EG: "That's only on weekends."
MwC: "Oh well okay..." (not moving)
EG: "I guess it's okay as long as I'm here."
MwC: "Oh THANK YOU."
Sheesh. You old crumudgeon. He lightened up after a bit and even gave the girls some pretty yellow bok choi flowers from a plant gone to seed. We reciprocated by taking some snails home. Saw a HUGE cauliflower plant just ready for picking!
![]() |
| Big as your head! |
![]() |
| The grueling 100 yard walk back... |
![]() |
| Phew we better take a breather in these cool chairs! |
Day 16: La Loma Park
I heart this park - it's super close to us but instead of (gasp) asking the girls to walk a half mile up a supremely steep hill, we just jump in the car and drive. Once there, it's like I don't even exist. Ah bliss... I can just sit and read emails and play with instagram while they play, play, play. Yeah it's a park but have you seen the view from this place? It's phenomenal! Plus there are three different play areas - tot area at the top with this funky sand toy which keeps the girls busy for at least thirty minutes, the big kids area down below with an enormous slide and swings, and a playing field down below that. It's awesome.
![]() |
| Who are these chic children?? |
Day 17: Halloween!
Due to sewing commitments, outside time was in short supply: walking to school (it's our week to bring fresh flowers and greens from our yard to beautify the classroom) and trick or treating in the evening! They were both queens and I got to sew two super cute capes with dingle-ball fringe (my favorite), a dress with a pouch pocket in the front for addie, and a long queen-like skirt with a pouch in the back for josie (to fit both candy and sleep sheep). I heart pouches and pockets! Thanks to Aunty Mol for the super cute fabric that made addie's dress... it was intended for a sisterly sewing project but we haven't got around to it yet so I *borrowed* the fabric in the meantime. Sorry Big Mol!

![]() |
| I couldn't convince Josie to wear a queenly shirt so she's got on her favorite, filthy zebra pajamas! |
Day 18: The driveway and sidewalk
Sometimes outside time is really simple. Let's go outside and get some fresh air! Yes you have to put your sweater on because it's November. Yes you have to put shoes on. It's November. Okay it can be flip-flop day. Yay! It's flip-flop day!
![]() |
| Leaf collecting in the driveway. |
![]() |
| Our neighbor's front yard looks like a fairy land. |
![]() |
| Ridiculously beautiful leaves! |
![]() |
| Addie's leaf pile (not to be confused with Josie's leaf pile!) |
![]() |
| Josie, in search of pine cones |
Day 19: La Loma park
Let's keep it real simple folks since we all have horrendous colds... unfortunately though, two-thirds of "us" are children under 5 we still need to go outside and run around like crazy... as opposed to just staying inside under the covers and drinking hot beverages all day. So I pour a shot (beautifully layered if i do say so myself since i poured the shot into the foamed milk) and off we go to the park!

























No comments:
Post a Comment